- Media directories, whether print, CD-ROM, or online, are essential tools for compiling media lists and distributing information.
- Media lists and e-mail addresses must be updated and revised on a regular basis; journalists frequently change jobs.
- Publicists use editorial calendars to find out what specials editions or sections various publications are planning for the year.
- Tip sheets let publicists know what kind of material a publication or broadcast station is seeking for a particular purpose.
- Mailing labels must be accurate; they should be addressed to a specific editor by name and include such details as the floor or suite in an office building.
- The vast majority of news releases and other press materials are now distributed via email and through electronic news wires.