- News features story can generate publicity for “ho-hum” products and services. It also can give background, context, and the human dimension to events and situations.
- News feature writing requires right-brain thinking intuition, image-making, and conceptualization.
- Features and background stories are part of a trend in the print media to do what is called service journalism “news you can use.”
- Photos and graphic are an integral part of a feature story package.
- Feature stories are formatted much like news releases and use extensive quotes, concrete examples, and highly descriptive words and information presented in an entertaining way.
- A good feature writer is curious and asks a lot of questions. He or she con conceptualize and see possibilities for the development of a feature article.
- There are several types of features: Case study, application story, research study, backgrounder, personality profile, and historical feature. They can also be a blend of many types.