- Fact sheets are a brief outline of an event, an organization, or a new product. The purpose is to place basic and supplemental information at the editor or journalists fingertips.
- Media advisories also called media alerts, tell assignment editors about a upcoming event. They often suggest photo, video, and interview opportunities. Media alerts about upcoming events typically include the five Ws and H in outline form.
- Media Kits are packets of material that my include news releases, photographs, feature stories, fact sheets, position papers, backgrounder, and brief biographical sketches.
- Electronic press kits (EPKs) are prepared in CD format or are available online from organizational Web sites. They can include all the information in a printed media kit, but also include audio sound bites, high-resolution photos, video clips, and product demonstrations.
- The purpose of a pitch letter is to convince editors and reporters to cover an event or do a story. Pitches to editors must be breif, raise interest, and come immediately to the point.