* Libel is injury to reputation. Words, pictures, cartoons, or anything else that exposes a person to public hatred, shame, disgrace or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person are libelous. Another word the courts often use is defamation.(PG 62)
*Another area of liability for PR writers is invasion of privacy. Pr writers can get charged with invasion of privacy in these five areas:
– Photo releases
– Product publicity and advertising
– Media inquiries about employees
– employee blogs and virtual communities
* The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)- An agency that insures that advertisements arent deceptive or misleading. Also has jurisdiction over product news releases and other forms of product publicity.
* Other regulatory agencies are :
-The securities and Exchange commission (SEC)- protect the interest of stockholders.
-The Federal Communications Commission (FCC)- provides license for radio and television stations and insures the public airways are used in the publics interest.
-The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)- oversee the advertising and promotion of prescription drugs, over the counter meds, and cosmetics.
-Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF)